Subject: Re: "Mourning Becomes Electra" reviewed in Gay City News
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:05:10 -0400

At 04:29 PM 4/3/2004 -0500, Marc Musnick wrote:
>JJ - You're wrong.  The Met revived "MBE" the following season.
>
>It certainly took forever for this work to be recognized.  The original
>production was stunning.  I cut a few classes myself to get to see it
>several times.

I'm in Marc's camp on this one.  I attended the world premiere of MOURNING
back in 1967 and was mightily impressed both by the opera and by the
stunning production.  The 3rd performance (out of 6) was broadcast. and the
opera was revived the following autumn for 5 more performances, though it
wasn't broadcast.  It had a European premiere at Dortumnd, Germany a year
or so later.  After that I don't think there were very many more
engagements until Chicago gave it in Levy's first revision about 4 years
ago.  The current Seattle/NYCO version makes additional changes, and Levy
says he is finally satisfied with it.  I think it's a strong piece, as can
be heard in the Chicago broadcast.

You really only need two things: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If something is stuck and it shouldn't be, use WD-40.
If it's moving and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape.

James Bodge  [log in to unmask]

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org