Subject: Did Maestro Levine's Tempos Advance the Plot?
From: joeblack20041 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:18:01 -0500

Did Maestro Levine's Tempos Advance the Plot? Did the music move us to the next thought? the next action? the next response? the next situation?

Opera is in many ways a Duet between the Orchestra and the Singer. Mr. Goldovsky has taught us all, that everything is in the music. There were tempos and places that left me hanging, wondering where we were going and what was going to happen next, even though I know the Opera quite well.

Sometimes, tempos are slowed down, because of the singer's inability to cope, because the conductor does not know the music well enough, because of the acoustics of the hall, or because one just cannot negotiate the material fast enough. However, we are not dealing with those situations.

I think someone said, every time we got to a love scene ... I guess love needs to be taken slowly.

It is strange to have a majority talk about Maestro Levine's tempos being slow in Wagner, yet in other compositions he is right on. Strange.  Was he trying to make a point of something that I missed?

Usually the conductor is 5 seconds ahead of the game.

Joe Black

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org