Subject: Pet singers - Janet Price
From: "Gunnar Dath, Aetos" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Apr 2004 09:39:39 +0300

<<Mercadante's Orazi e Curiazi with Price and it's a MILLION, no a BILLION,
times more exciting than the cd version with Ms. Miricioiu>>
--I'd like to second Gordon Young on this one. I have tried and tried to
"get" Mercadante, but so far only Orazi e Curiazi (and in principle only
this recording) has convinced me that his music is at all near the level of
Bellini and Donizetti. Janet Price is fearless here and stunning indeed.

Janet Price is just as fantastic in an Opera Rara performance of Maria
Padilla (Donizetti) --a thrilling live version of this opera. I don't think
this was ever released on cd. There are scenes in this opera that are
suerely among Donizetti's best. I especially like the duet between Maria and
her father, who in this opera is a tenor, while the Romatic hero is a
baritone!  This duet is an example of Donizetti's music being Verdi before
Verdi if anything. However, Opera Rara's studio cd version --in beautiful
sound and with a wonderful libretto a la Opera Rara, etc-- is a big, big
let-down. Soprano Lois McDonall is not at all up to the demands of this
role.

Brava to Janet Price!!
Gunnar
PS Can anyone supply some biographical information about her??

Gunnar Dath
Aetos
Please visit our website:
www.kalimera.nu/koroni