Subject: A totally fulfilling "Un Ballo"
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:53:21 -0500

Well, I sit here with my tail between my legs. All the negative remarks I
have fostered about Licitra have gone by the wayside. That man was in
perfectly beautiful voice tonight as he successfully inhabited the role of
Gustavus. He held court up there and never even looked at the score once.
Podles did the same thing. From the second she came onto the stage, she
commanded attenton with her iron-clad performance of Ulrica. What a unique
sound emanates from her throat. It is simply mesmerizing. I loved the way
she took hold of the music stand and diminished it halfway to the floor.
She knew every word by heart.

Not so my Dimi man. He was quite busy the entire evening riffling his
papers, or adjusting his glasses -- he seemed somehow uninvolved until
the "Eri tu" and then a miracle occurred. He pushed the music stand aside
and ferociously attacked that aria with aplomb -- his gorgeous tones
ringing throughout the theater.
His voice is pure velvet.

Michele Crider was an excellent Amelia with a lovely voice and a
surprisingly fine acting job to boot. All the more power to her
-- this being a concert only performance.

Although the orchestra did a fine job I felt they were much too loud and
often covered up the voices (except for Licitra.) The Collegiate Chorale
was superb.

I am much too tired to go into the rest of the cast -- but all were
exemplary and Verdi's genius came through once again, loud and clear.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org