Subject: Re: San Francisco Opera 2004-2005 Season
From: iChing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:22:43 -0800

Thanks for the heads up, Terri.

So the rumors were true. It appears that Les Troyens has been
postponed or cancelled. I'm glad that Le Grand Macabre is back
though, and it's being directed by former opera-ler Kasper Holten.

Besides Billy Budd, Nathan Gunn is probably covering Guglielmo,
but this Hanno guy sounds promising, from Kirsten's comments.
Deshorties as Fiordiligi? Hmm... at least it's not Constanze. I'm
glad I'll get to hear Flicka von Stade's Dorabella, I thought she
had retired the role. It's a Michael Gielen production, whom Ms.
Rosenberg favors, but the production design is by Robert
Perdziola, whom if I'm not mistaken, tends to offer a more
traditional look.

Everybody knows the duet from The Pearl Fishers, but how is this
piece as a complete opera? Am I gonna like it?

So we'll get to hear Ruth Ann Swenson's Violetta (w/Hvorostovsky),
with Villanzon making his debut. in the old John Copley/John
Conklin production. We've just heard/seen this Traviata in 2001,
but it sounds like an expensive cast.

Even though Les Troyens has been cancelled, at least we'll get to
see a new production of The Queen of Spades by the team who have
created Les Troyens, John MacFarlane and Richard Jones. I thought
Troyens had been paid for already, so does anybody know what
happened? The political

Also, I see they're bringing back Lofti Mansouri's production of
"Tosca." That is a nice gesture towards the old geezer, I suppose.
When Herbert Blomstedt left the directorship of the SF Symphony,
there was the perception of an impeccably carried out and
gracefully planned exit protocol. Do opera companies have exit
protocols for their top brass, or is it always a little messy? When
it comes time for Joe, Bill, David, and Placido to go, is it going
to be pretty?

HNY to all,

Ching

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org