Subject: The Alagnas' Verdi Reqiem - Personal Manager
From: David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:55:36 +0000

Dear All,

I found a copy of the 2001 live BPO Abaddo Verdi
Requiem in the sales (only ?2) and am very pleased
with it.  Firey, insightful conducting, excellent
singing, beautifully layer choir and rich red-blooded
sound.  An interesting point is that the Alagnas'
"Personal Manager" is named on the back cover and in
the booklet.  I've never seen this before and wonder
why he was mentioned.  Why not also the administrators
for the other artists?

BTW, I also found the Rattle Gurrelider for the same
price but am less pleased.  The solosists are fine,
especially Moser, who is clear, powerful and
characterful.  Yet EMI seem to have reached to the
depths of their bottom drawer for this rercording.
The sound is strangely veiled and hazy and lacks
impact.  The voices are recorded too far forward in
relation to the orchestra so that some of the detail
is not clear.  Very odd as it was recorded in the same
venue, with the same orchestra, same company and many
of the same engineers.  Also, it's live recorded only
8 months after the Requiem. Yet the Requiem is
dramatically superior (fuller choral sound, soloists
better integrated, bass has far more impact and wider
sound stage).  I wonder who is responsible for the
difference?

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org