Subject: Re: Stoyanova's roles
From: Grant Youngblood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:29:14 EST

chsiegel@aol wrote:

<That said, you can bet I'll be down to DC for her Leonora in Trovatore, and
anything she sings within traveling range.  I believe she'll be doing
Amelia/Maria in Boccanegra with the Vienna Staatsoper.  And that's worth a
trip for both the opera and the role.>

       I also admired Stoyanova's singing very much in the recent OONY Anna
Bolena.  Beautiful and expressive and pitch-dominant.   But she doesn't strike
me as a Trovatore Leonora.  I mean, how many sopranos around today can really
cope with the demands of Act IV?  I fear Ms. Stoyanova would run out of steam
in the midst of that killer first scene, even with the mercy cuts that are
standard in Trovatore performances today.  PERHAPS Amelia in Boccanegra, though
I'm not familar enough with that music to say for sure.  I'd sure love to sing
a Traviata with her sometime though!
       Best wishes for a happy and safe 2004,
                Grant Youngblood

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org