Subject: Re: Sara Dolukhanova
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:21:13 EST

In a message dated 12/29/2003 9:17:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Born in 1918 in Moscow, and her mother's heritage was Armenian.  The
documentation I have is not specific about her father.  She is
represented on a wonderful Preiser CD number 89066, which shows
tremendous agility in the music of Handel, Meyerbeer and Rossini as well
as enormous breadth of delivery in Saint Saens, Verdi and a number of
Russian composers.
Last I heard, Dolukhanova was still living.  She also recorded a Shostakovich
14th many years after her recording career had ended.  The voice is not as
limber and lacks the creaminess of the older reissues, but it's still
recognizably Doluhkanova.

Barry Brenesal

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org