Subject: Papageno record store in Paris
From: "R. Brite" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:43:48 +0100

Dear Listers,

For my last message of 2003 I'd like to let everyone know that I recently visited the little opera record shop called Papageno down the street from the Opera Comique. Those of you familiar with this treasure trove of used vinyl (plus a few CDs and videos) may recall that a few years ago there was some question of whether it would stay in business. I'm happy to report it's still there, under (relatively) new ownership, and with a nice website at www.papageno.fr. They're not exactly giving away their wares, as the French would say ("C'est pas donne" with an acute accent on the last e; actually it should be "Ce n'est pas..." but hardly anyone says that these days), but what a collection of rarities and oddities is there, alongside a solid selection of more standard items. The website says the shop was founded in 1970. I have in fact never bought anything there myself but I find its continued existence reassuring somehow, and I figure the least I can do for them is pass the word along!

Best wishes for the New Year,
Rebecca in Paris

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org