Subject: Gobbi/Bonisolli
From: jack rance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:46:59 -0500

I saw Gobbi only once, as Count Almaviva in NOZZE when the Rome Opera came
to the Met in 1968 (or was it '69?) in a beautiful production with Ligabue,
Sciutti, Casoni & Panerai...Giulini conducted. But I have never really
enjoyed Gobbi's voice. To me it has a holllow, boxy sound. I once asked a
young singer-friend of mine, who was unfamiliar with Gobbi's singing, to
listen to a couple excerpts and then asked her: "What is it with this
voice?" and she replied: "No overtones".

Does anyone remember that Rome Opera visit? FOSCARI with Maragliano, Cioni,
Zanasi and Rossini OTELLO with Zeani, a young Bonisolli, and Bottazzo.

And does anyone recall Bonisolli's last Met performance, the TROVATORE of
Sharon Sweet's debut at which, it seemed to me, the vast majority of the
audience (including usually-indifferent boxholders) booed the tenor
thoroughly at his final call...while he graciously bowed as if receiving an
accolade. Funny!

JR

Service.  Try it FREE for one month!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org