Subject: Re: Die Schweigsame Frau
From: Andrew Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:19:47 +0000

David Harbin writes:

> What is the best recording of this?  I've heard the new set on Koch
> is supposed to be good.

I haven't heard the Koch, and I don't think that there actually are
very many recordings.  I have a soft spot for this opera - it was the
first one I saw at Glyndebourne (in 1977, with Richard Croft, Peter
Gottlieb, Jerome Pruett, Janet Perry, directed by John Cox and
conducted by Andrew Davis) - and have the Böhm recording on DG, with
Hotter, Wunderlich, Güden and Prey.  The names of the singers speak
for themselves, and the conducting is fine, but this is a live
performance and the sound is patchy, plus there is the usual stage
noise and intrusive audience (e.g. early applause at the end of the
acts).  I wouldn't be without it, though, even if I had a more modern
studio recording.

Andrew Cooper, Leeds, England