Subject: Re: In Defense of Alfano: (was Re: Berio's ending)
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:25:38 -0400

At 10:14 AM 6/28/03 -0400, paolo wrote:
>I'll make more enemies here, but I just don't get people who go to the OPERA
>and then complain about the stories not being real enough.  Geez, Louise!
===SNIP===>"I just can't believe that thath girl would fall in love with a
guy who
>kills her fiance and carts her off to marry his uncle."  I've two words
>which will easily explain this to these dears:  love potion.  But, of
>course, these same people can't fathom that there could ever REALLY be such
>a thing as a love potion.

Yes, a nice ripe Burgundy, no doubt.  There is no "love" potion in TRISTAN,
one of the most honest and realistic of all romantic operas.  All you have
to accept is the notion that she falls in love with Tristan before she
knows that he killed Tantris, her fiance (another arranged marriage, btw).
Once she knows, she can't help herself.  That's never happened, right?  As
for him, he's probably had the hots for her all along - it's certainly what
motivates his suggestion that Marke arrange for her to marry him.  And now
he's conflicted, because he really loves her.

But neither is willing to speak about it, either to themselves or to each
other.  The proposed death potion (and how hard are those to come by?)
gives them their excuse: they think they will die in about 60 seconds, so
they admit their love for each other.  Then they don't die because the well
meaning Brangene has slipped them an aphrodisiac instead.

I don't understand why people find such a scenario far fetched or
unrealistic.  It sure ain't no fairy tale. Perhaps because a good deal of
it depends on offstage, pre-show action.

You really only need two things: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If something is stuck and it shouldn't be, use WD-40.
If it's moving and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape.

James Bodge  [log in to unmask]