Subject: Re: Tommi Hakala Wins BBC Singer of the World
From: Ian Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:57:54 +0100

In article <[log in to unmask]>, Rob
Gonzales <[log in to unmask]> writes
>The Finnish baritone, who is a member of the Oper Leipzig ensemble, won in
>a close decision over the Chilean Angela Marambio, who did win the audience
>prize.
>
>Many thanks to the BBC for the live Web videocast (the picture was quite
>decent, the sound excellent).

I enjoyed watching the final and was sorry I had not had the time to
watch the rounds.

I thought the standard of the finalists was high, but with no-one
outstanding.

I was surprised at the winner.  I thought the judges' choice would have
been the Canadian soprano (sorry, I can't remember names).

My own first choice was the Austrian baritone.  I thought he had a
terrific voice and sang with a real sense of style and drama.  His
account of the aria from "Nozze" was, I thought, a lot better than the
winner's.

I would bet that the Russian mezzo and the Chilean soprano will be
singing at the Met within five years.

IG
--
Ian Graham