Subject: Deceptive CD advertising
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:43:27 EDT

Hi..I noted that ine one of the CD Elektras they list Marilyn Horne on the
cover along with the leads....Anyone who knows opera KNOWS she never did
Klytaemnestra..she is the fifth serving maid and an unsuspecting novice might buy it
for HER..and this is really unfair to put her name up there....
I believe one of the Parsifal Flower Maidens,Gundula Janowitz, is listed
similarly...and again..this is deceptive..

I know that Domingo is the Remendado on an early CD pirated Carmen..but at
least they say so..and it is not on the front cover as if he is the lead...Kiri
does a voice in Fedora on a recording and there are other such examples....but
at least they do not pretend the singer is a lead.

   Both Martinelli and Gedda do the Emperor in various Turandots...but we say
that...we do not let people think they are the Calaf....but record producers
who cheat the public should know better....not fair to sell CD's on the
strength of big names if they are doing small parts..Charlie...always as honest as
the day is short....CH