Subject: Re: Ezio Pinza held in WWII Internment Camp in New York
From: Philip Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:54:26 -0400

David writes:

> Very sorry to learn this about Norman Cordon.  I had not heard of him
> until recently, but he turns up on some recordings from the late '30s
> and early '40s that are now coming on the market.  He was no Pinza, but
> he had a decent dark voice, and was impressive enough in the
> Sparafucile-Ramfis repertory.   (Isn't he Sparafucile in the
> Warren-Sayao-Bjoerling RIGOLETTO?)

There are Met recordings of Pinza and Cordon together.  In a 1940 "Aida" on
Arkadia, Pinza is Ramfis and Cordon Il Re.  On the 1942 "Don Giovanni" on
Naxos, Cordon is the Commendatore to Pinza's Don.  (One wonders whether Ezio
might have been tempted to sharpen up his sword for their first scene
together!)

Speaking of Pinza...  He appeared on Broadway with Walter Slezak (in
"Fanny").  Did he ever sing any opera performance with Leo Slezak?  (This is
not a trivia question: I don't know the answer and would like to know.)

Philip Walsh
Ottawa, Canada