Subject: Re: Ezio Pinza--and Traubel's cold cream
From: "William A. Fregosi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:00:06 -0400

At 09:54 AM 6/24/2003 -0400, Art McManus wrote:
>In his "Autobiography," Pinza says he was arrested on March 12, 1942
>and was interned for three months.

Art beat me to it on this one.  I also remember the Pinza book
from reading it as a kid.  He was supposed also to have had a
swastika ring.  This, it turned out, was a REVERSED swastika
and the ring was from somewhere in the south Pacific area where
swastikas--as in many ancient European cultures--were a common
symbol, either going backwards or forwards.

Now, here is another one.  In "St. Louis Woman," Helen Traubel's
ghost written autobiography, she tells of taking off make-up one
night at the MET and noticing a glittering object in the cold cream.
Turns out that the cold cream had had ground glass placed in it.
The idea apparantly was to injure, perhaps even blind her.
She says she had her suspicions about the identity of the perpetrator
in the book but doesn't go any further. Anybody have any further info
on this incident?  Makes the old MET sound like a den of especially
unprincipled Eve Harringtons!

Bill Fregosi

William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator For Theater Arts          (617) 253-0862
Massachusetts Institute of Technology           [log in to unmask]