Subject: Re: View from the Pit
From: "William A. Fregosi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:35:34 -0400

At 06:58 AM 6/22/2003 -0400, Lin Allgeier wrote:
>Memoirs of a Grip.  Hey, I'd buy it!

What a SPLENDID idea.  From my vantage point as a set and
(very occasionally) lighting designer, I know intimately the very
special take on a production the designers, stage managers,
technical and running crews have of any production.  We are in
on the production process from the day of its inception, follow its
development at least weekly during full staff production meetings,
and work intensively with every person involved on or off stage
in the lengthy, demanding and highly creative technical and dress
rehearsals that finish the preparatory phase and get the production
in final shape to put before the public.

In my experience, the backstage personnel have an almost infallible
understanding of the condition of a production as it arrives on the brink
of going on stage.  Some of the most interesting and valid critiques of
the play or opera in question that I have heard come from the control
booth and just off stage.  Not, perhaps, the most literary comments
informed by years of studying theory but the gut, honest reactions of
those who are most knowledgeable about the intent and execution of the
production: the good people you never see who exult when performers
are having a "state of grace" night and who breathe with them and clear
their throats for them when they are not.  Nothing is hidden from these
highly skilled practitioners--they KNOW.

Bill Fregosi

William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator For Theater Arts          (617) 253-0862
Massachusetts Institute of Technology           [log in to unmask]