Subject: Re: View from the Pit
From: Arthur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:42:00 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "William A. Fregosi" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 12:35 PM

Hello Fellow Member

This is all very interesting and has prodded me into asking a question I
have intended asking for some time but never got round to it.  Just how
musically knowledgeable do the people operating the lighting system have to
be during a performance, or is it all done by computer.  A few years ago I
attended the ROH Ring at the Royal Albert Hall during the closure of Covent
Garden, which was acted, but not staged.  When Alberich decided to steal the
gold, this was represemted by a yellow spotlight on the stage and the second
Alberich bent down to snatch the gold the light went out.  Until that moment
I had never thought that it may be necessary for the people operating the
lights to actually listent to the music, but I have wondered about it ever
since.

I am sure all you experts will be able to enlighten me and Mr Fregosi in
particular.

Regards,
Margaret Mason