Re: La Boheme's ending

Gene Warech <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:41:37 -0700

text/plain

The most effective ending to me is when the music ends at Mimi's death
and the last few lines are spoken, not sung, as though love and romance
and all lyric impulse died with her. I only remember hearing it that
way once, most Rudolfos vocalize their cry of Mimi, but it was a kick
in the heart in an opera that I have seen and heard many times.
Gene Warech