Let's test everybody's Opera I.Q. about a few details from the libretto of
1. Who wrote the GIOCONDA libretto.What pseudonym did this author use?
2. What is the name of the boatman who loses the regatta in the opera's first
3. Who escorts L aura to her tryst with Enzo?
4. Why does Gioconda feel compelled to help Laura, even though doing this
ruins her chance for happiness?
5. How does Barnaba kill La Ciexa?
Answers to yesterdays quiz
GianCarlo Menotti wrote the libretto for VANESSA
2. Maria Callas was offered the title role but turned it down. Sena Jurinac
to sing the title role but cancelled six weeks before the premiere, at which
Eleanor Steber was engaged. Other Met Vanessas included Brenda Lewis
(1958-59) and Mary Costa (1965)
3. VANESSA won the Pultizer prize
Dimitri Mitroupolos was the conductor of the premiere.
5. The Quintet was sung by Vanessa, Erica, Anatol, the Baroness and the
6. Rosalind Elias, the original Erica, sang the role of the Baroness in
Washington, in October of last year.
My thanks to all those who wrote in.