Subject: Re: Ludwig/Verrett in "Troyens"
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:42:53 -0500

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Andy Karzas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ludwig proved to be wonderful in the role of Dido.  Apparently, Verrett,
> too, was wonderful.

That performance, Oct. 22, 1973, was hard for me to forget (in part because
it's my birthday, and for the occasion I had orchestra seats, instead of my
usual family circle standing room).

I saw TROYENS three times that season, and I think most standees agreed at
the time that Verrett was far above Ludwig in her portrayal of Dido.  Ludwig
was "correct" in her portrayal and vocalism, but Verrett went that extra step
and made the occasion come alive.   Of course it was a special occasion, so
perhaps that electricity colored our experience and memories of it.

I suppose there must be a recording of that night circulating, somewhere...

Bob Kosovsky, Ph.D. -- Librarian
    Listowner: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------