Subject: Re: News from Paris
From: William Fregosi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:46:03 -0500

At 3:15 PM +0100 2/28/03, Frank Cadenhead wrote:
>Further news: The music magazine Diapason, in a shameless effort
>to boost circulation . . . the magazine feature is "Erotisme et Musique"
>Have they missed anything?

Well, they could easily have condensed a bit.  It would be simple
to cover both Necrophilie and Nymphomanie (and perhaps
Pedophilie, Fetischisme and Masochisme as well) with Strauss's
SALOME.   Onanisme was covered pretty well in the production
of THAIS that Sills and Milnes performed in San Francisco and
New York; during the "Meditation," Mr. Milnes was doing a lot
more than merely thinking.

On the other hand, there may be one they missed.  I don't know
if there IS such an "isme" in the realm of psychiatry but let's
call it Insectisme (Insectophilie?)--Jupiter goes down into the
Underworld to pick up Euridice in the guise of a fly--a giant
mouche--in Offenbach's operetta ORPHEE AUX ENFERS.

Bill Fregosi
--
William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator for Theater Arts     Ph: (617) 253-0862

        I live through risk.  Without risk, there is no art. You should always
        be on the edge of a cliff about to fall down and break your neck.

Carlos Fuentes