Subject: Re: Errors in Some Tunes by Rico
From: Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:11:17 -0800

At 09:47 AM 2/27/2003 -0500, William Fregosi wrote:

>A great deal of what is on the list will be completely unknown
>to most of us, operas, I assume that he took on early in his
>career or sang only in Europe.  We tend to think of his career
>as being so tied up with the U.S. and the MET in particular.
>However, given two glaring errors, I would like to see a great
>deal more scholarship done on this list before it is put out as
>being Caruso's repertory.

I did not choose to post earlier since clearly the listing from Dorothy
Caruso's biography was meant sincerely. However, that volume, its list of
operas and its discography may best be regarded as creative writing if not
fiction. It has approximately the credibility of the film, "The Great
Caruso". Better by far is the Caruso, Jr., and Farkas volume on "My Father
and My Family". The repertoire listed there must be correct: it was
compiled by our own Tom Kaufman. I would offer it here were it not for
copyright.

For the record - and subject to correction - Enrico and Dorothy were
married for just about two years before his untimely death. She was hardly
an opera "fan" at any stage, though she was supportive of his career (if
not his pre-marital life and its mementos) for that period. Allowing for
her focus on their life together, the book is an enjoyable depiction of his
last twenty or so months of performing, but I would recommend it for
nothing more than that.

And if anyone turns up a copy of his "Eili, Eili", I would be extremely
interested. (So would a great many others, far more expert than I.) <G>

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/