Subject: Opera Stars in Musical Theatre
From: Michael Hibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:27:33 -0800

The once Met singer Irra Petina appeared in many Broadway shows, as did Kitty Carlisle.  OK, she did only one role at the Met, but she was a pretty good mezzo.  Cesare Siepi appeared in something called "Bravo Giovanni".  Julia Magines was in the original company of "Fiddler...".  Many people forget that Beverly Sills toured extensively as a teenager in Gilbert and Sullivan soprano leads and also "The Merry Widow."  Although produced by The Shubert Organization, I don't think she sang in a legit Broadway house.    I also believe Grace Moore spent some time in a Broadway chorus, but I don't know where or when. (!)  Patrice Munsel was in many road companies, including "Applause" and "Kismet".  Licia Albanese appeared in the extremely successful concert version of Sondheim"s "Follies" as did Erie Mills.