Subject: Opera Singers in Musicals
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:39:26 -0500

Kenn's quiz for today entails one of my favorite activities - finding opera
singers who (pre, post or during their operatic careers)were involved in
musical projects outside of the opera.

Some listers have already named some fascinating choices, and here are a
few more.

Roberta Peters starred as Maria in a production of "The Sound of Music" at
Wolf Trap (I was there for this one!).

Theresa Stratas starred in the flop "hit" "Rags" (which went on to be
recorded in the studio with Julia Migenes taking the Stratas role).

Peter Hoffmann - "Phantom of the Opera."

Welsh baritone Jason Howard sang Ravenal in a production of "Showboat"
somewhere in England.  A recent release of his called "Make Believe:  The
Hollywood Baritones."

Lily Pons starred in the film of Jerome Kern's "I Dream Too Much" opposite
Henry Fonda.  She also was in the London cast recording (but I don't know
if she was onstage) of Noel Coward's "Conversation Piece" which also
starred Richard Burton, Coward himself, and Cathleen Nesbitt (among many
others).

In addition to "South Pacific" Pinza starred in the musical "Fanny."

William Warfield was in the Lincoln Center production (and cast recording)
of "Show Boat."

Domingo can be heard (in the ensemble!) of the Columbia Records "Mexican
Cast" recording of "Mi Bella Dama" or "My Fair Lady."

The "King" of crossover has to be, however, American baritone Rodney
Stenborg (who can be seen in the recent "Street Scene" video, his last
role, I believe).  Stenborg sang Scarpia, Marcello, Rigoletto, Germont and
many other leading baritone roles in German adn U.S. houses - while he
alternated singing in productions of many musicals including:  "Hello
Dolly"; "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"; "Annie"; "Mame"; "Fiddler on the
Roof"; "1776"; "Phantom of the Opera"; "Cinderella"; "Man of La
Mancha"; "Chaplin"; and a German production of the American musical "Nein,
nein, Nannette."

paolo (who's definitely no star, but has sung roles in Traviata; Carmen;
Boheme; Lucia; Tosca; Pirates of Penzance; Don Giovanni; La Perichole and
others but DID "star" as Uncle Archie in "Secret Garden" as well as in the
ensemble of "Music Man."