Subject: Re: Pirata review and also the Panelists....
From: diane gaia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:30:34 -0500

>        5.  Name one role Placido Domingo never sang.
>           (That might be the hardest question,especially since he is
>preparing Varlaam, Billy Bigelow, and Melisande.)

uh, i understand that he is planning the emperor altoum for his farewell
in about 50 years......also, of course, his great-great great
granddaughter will be turandot, and her kid is doing calaf.....oh: let's
not forget who is also conducting.......

hey, charlie: goosebump time?  january 13 1973 paterson?  atilla aria with
marisa?  her husband wasn't the only one in the audience with a tape
recorder......and it was worth the drive during the blizzard (the garden
state parkway was VERY interesting to drive...i really missed not having a
horse and sleigh then...) to hear someone rattle the windows with the high
notes........

giordani did not have the wonderful suave sound i heard last year in the
onegin: um, i worry for him.......again, well he has a good top, but maybe
doing extended roles "up there" isn't something he should do alot
of.....stay down a little a/o secure the range so it doesn't come out
raspy/problems with pitch in the lower voice?

i'm not a pirata fan, but a renee fan/i love dat girl......i wish she had
better taste (please pirata fans: you love the work...not me...just
personal taste) in vanity pieces.............girl i want you doing vestale
and gluck...............LOTS OF GLUCK.............berlioz..........give me
some music i can sink my teeth into!

i was assigned once to ghost a bio of zinka......now, the lady NEVER
talked about anything of interest so the book died well before
publication..................the only thing i got out of her (CONSTANTLY!)
was "i was never paid enough....not like these modern singers"..........i
was pulling information out of her (or trying...sweetly...) she came out
with the only line that still sticks in my head: about her childhood "i
used to sit on the balcony and play with myself"

and why did they use a live performance that definetly was not the best
day for bjorling?....transposing and going sharp?  why not use luciano,
anybody more modern? when you use performances for examples that the
newest one is about 40 years ago it makes you wonder if they aren't paying
attention to all the great performances of now.......and there has been
alot happening in 40 years.....my own goosebump: peter pears in death in
venice "i love you": grabbed you right away..............now, back to the
love bunnies in trovatore: or, in other words, the bobby show.........didi