Subject: new Callas book/new opera recordings
From: Marco Schmid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:35:34 -0500

Dear Listers,

I just got my copy of the new Callas book called Callas Unica. It is by Jean-Jacques Hanine-Roussel. There is some text (in French, Italian and Englisch) but mostly it is photo's and many which are rare and I have never seen.

Amazing to see all the photo's from rehearsals in which La Divina looks stunning, always dressed in elegant suits, hats and jewels. Many of these I believe have never before been published and her collegues like Simionato and Pippo are in many of the photo's as well.

Of the newer opera recordings of the last 20 years which I enjoy and listen to are: Troyens with Colin Davis and Heppner,
Solti FroSch, Sawallisch FroSch, Isokoski Cosi, Popp Daphne and the Zampieri/Sinopoli Macbeth.

BTW the Met is advertising an autograph session with the Alagna's in March (according to the new Opera News) so perhaps they are still both coming. That is if anyone even cares.

Best,

Marco Schmid