Subject: Les Troyens Dancers
From: C Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:35:56 -0500

In discussing the Les Troyens production via e-mail with others, an insight
was offered by someone I know who doesn't post to Opera-L but who
experienced opening night.

I, like some others, twitched a bit a the mid-air dance sequence.  I think
some on the list described it as "timid." However, my acquaintance
suggested that the image of the two mid-air dancers being moved hither and
thither by strings from above is quite consistent with the Iliad's multiple
references to human beings as playthings of the gods.  That is the essence
of the Troy story, after all.  So, it could be that the sequence wasn't
meant to express the passion of Dido and Aeneas, but rather their
helplessness in the face of manipulative forces.

Again, this good insight is not original with me, but I wish I had thought
of it!