Subject: Asian singers / Ghena Dimitrova
From: T Boy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:58:49 -0800

On the topic of Asian singers and why so many seem to
be lyric singers, there is apparently a Chinese
dramatic soprano, Sun Xiu Wei.  I have never heard her
voice, live or otherwise, but an Internet search shows
that Ms. Sun sings such roles as Norma, Leonora and
Turandot, and the obiquitous Cio-Cio-San.

I do recall reading in some interview, Hei-Kyung Hong
mentions turning down offers to sing Butterfly.  Wise
move.

Speaking of dramatic sopranos, many thanks to all who
shared, privately or otherwise, your recollections of
Ghena Dimitrova.  In reviewing the Lombardi tape, I
can only imagine what a vocal hurricane she must have
been live.  The acting is quite cliched, with lots of
wild hand gesticulating, but the voice speaks for
itself.  <G>  One odd thing about this videotape, the
cover credits only Jose Carreras and Ghena Dimitrova
(in that order) but Carreras' role (Oronte) is not the
principal character.  Another one of those deceptive
marketing ploys?

Todd