Subject: The Cura Challenge?
From: Tom Leschefsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:54:15 EST

In a message dated 2/7/03 7:52:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, Edie222 writes:

> I talked myself into buying the MANON LESCAUT [Cura] made for DG with
> Guleghina, my favorite Puccini opera, and it turns out be the worst
> recording ever and definitely the most wretched performance of Des Grieux
> ever (and I am not forgetting Mario del Monaco's golden braying with
> Tebaldi).  Cura's voice is so pressurized and tight that he can't be
> listened to with any pleasure.  I'm astonished that he allowed DG to
> release this almost amateurish performance.  Honestly, is there anybody on
> this list, male or female, fan of his or not, who'll claim this performance
> can even be mentioned in the same breath, let alone compared, with those of
> Merli, Bjoerling, di Stefano, Tucker, and Domingo?

Dear List,

After receiving several private replies to my E-mail from which the above is
quoted, all from posters who not only agreed with me about the MANON LESCAUT
recording, but who agreed in general that Cura is a very mediocre singer, I
thought it would be fair to pose another question to the list.

Since the idea has been floated that some posters--mostly men--dislike Cura
not because of his singing, but because they're jealous of his handsome
features and manly physique, and since I made it clear in my posting that I
actually admire Cura for being so physically fit, and have no reason to be
jealous of his good looks (wish I was as handsome as he is); I wonder if
anyone who admires his singing, would be willing to suggest some recordings
where he sings wonderfully and also say in specific terms why they think this
is the case?

I realize this is a challenge, not just the usual sort of question, but since
I actually admire Cura for being so fit, and as I said, am genuinely
disappointed that such a handsome, well-built man isn't also a great singer,
I think it's fair for me to ask it.

Some specific recorded examples, please, with reasons why you think they're
good?  Comparisons with other singers performing the same repetoire would be
especially helpful..

If nobody is willing to offer such examples to me and the list, could we
please dispense with more pointless generalizations about jealousy being the
"real" motive of those of us who find Cura woefully inadequate as an opera
singer?

Cordially,
Tom Leschefsky