Subject: Re: Is it hard for Asians to become opera singers???
From: 酒井 章 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:14:36 +0900

Dear Tom and listers,

Please don't forget the brightest new star,Yasuharu Nakajima,
a Japanese young tenor,
who has just debuted in the role of  Rodolfo(La Boheme) at La Scala
under the direction of Bartoletti.this February.

He was taught by his father,Motoharu Nakajima at Tokyo and then by
Gianni Raimondi at Bologna.
He was the finalist at 1999 Concorso Internazionale Franco Corelli,
3rd place winner at  2000 Ferruccio Tagliavini Concorso,
but has jumped up at La Scala Production last year,playing the role
of  Riccardo of  "Oberto" which was the first Riccardo at La Scala
since Gianni Poggi has sung the same role in 1951.

On February 1, in the famous production of  Zeffirelli,
Yasuharu Nakajima's Rodolfo was a sensation.
It was reported that one of  the audiences lost her mind after
hearing his truely poetic and charmant "Che gelida manina".

Tom has mentioned another superb Japanese tenor,Taro Ichihara .
Ichihara is one of the great interpreters of Verdi repertoir,
especially in the role of Riccardo of "Un ballo in maschera".
In my opinion,Nakajima's artisty now suits for Belcanto roles
just like Arturo of "I Puritani", Ernesto of "Don Pasquale",
Duke of Mantova of "Rigoletto", but he(26 years old) may be a great
interpreter of Guartiero of "Il Pirata" in near future.

Best regards,

Akira Sakai
Tokyo,Japan