Subject: Re: Weight lifting for opera [singers]
From: Tom Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:23:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Armistead" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 6:00 PM

>SNIP<

   From a personal viewpoint, I find weight-lifting to be beneficial, not
harmful. Long brisk walks practising deep breathing, and swimming lengths in
a pool are also fine.

   Exercising in a pool (with the water level about mid-chest) is great
.
   I have a picture of Jon Vickers, bare-chested, throwing bales of hay on a
wagon.

   And the American born tenor Charles Kullman used to climb into the boxing
ring and spar with Jack Dempsey!

   My opinion? All is beneficial in moderation, even a little Crown Royal or
VO bottled in my home town of Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada  Amherstburg,
Ontario bottled Crown Royal or VO.whiskey. IMHO, our greatest export to the
USA

All the best from the great North:      Tom

Tom Hamilton