Subject: "The Island God"
From: "Robert T. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:14:40 -0400

There is a large chapter on "The Island God" in John Ardoin's book "The
Stages of Menotti."  (Doubleday, 1985).  There also is a photo of it onstage
at the Met, with Jobin and Varnay in a set by Richard Rychtarik. Briefly,
the opera was a failure and Menotti agreed that it was not very good. He
destroyed what he could of the score. But Felix Wolfes, of the Met staff,
saved some pages, including the duet you mention (and a second duet as
well), also the prelude, the first interlude, the tenor's offstage song, and
the close of the opera.

Menotti is quoted: "I thought I would at least try my hand at a heavy and
tragic opera. What I wrote was a big bore. I made a lot of noise with it,
and I must admit the music was very uninventive. It's made up of very bad
Italian music. I looked it over before destroying it and found no saving
graces. The lesson I learned from it was that I should always be myself,
that I should not try to impress anyone.... It's never been published, and
I've tried to erase every trace of it. It is the only one of my children
that I've willingly murdered."