Subject: Re: OPERA-L Digest - 29 May 2002 (#2002-771)
From: Lila Barth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:16:08 -0400

Date:June 11, 2002
From: Lila Barth [log in to unmask]
Subj:Time to Pitch  In
Mr Somerville: First of all welcome to OperaL.   I too have been mostly
lurking, primarily because so many of the people on this
forum seem so knowledgeable that I'm afraid of saying something stupid or
inappropriate.  However thanks to Bob Dilley's en-
couragement, when I think i have something important to say, which I feel I
do now,I manage.  Just one question:  Mr Somerville
why did you feel it was necessary to say things like " some very fine
singers, mostly white" and ,numbers of students almost all black"? I feel
that a voice is a voice, no matter what color of the skin that it inhabits.
By the way I'm white. OK listers.f you
think I'm knitpicking you're entitled.  These comments rubbed me the wrong
way!                          Lila