Subject: Traviata in Buenos Aires
From: "David J. Mazer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:52:11 -0300

Hi to the List!
well, it seems we sarted a new quarrel, and somebody is bleeding badly thru his wound.
Choristers in Avellaneda's Teatro Roma didn't get their pay as well as Ms. Gutierrez who sang Elvira in last year production (was it in September?).
I can't respond for Mr. Vittori who is doing a crossover from musical to opera, with an errant techique, but I can do for Ms Gutierrez, which I heard several times in Colon, where she already sang a VERY successful Butterfly in reviews and audience,  and there was NO amplification at all.
If you refer to the first performance, she sang with a VERY bad cold that she got on the dress rehearsal with out any kind of heating in that stadium. Today she sang gorgeously as a spinto,which she is.
I am reporting this singular event that in this critical moments we are going thru, is very important for our cultural life, and as I said in my original mail, is a magnet for new people. You should see entire families with kids, elder people, youngsters, even the extras enjoy their work (they are not payed at all!).
As for our payment, we signed a contract with a person not with the Municipalidad de Avellaneda (who is responsable of that payment), and we always can sue and even suspend performances, which we already spoke about , if we are not payed in term and properly. So, don't worry.
And if your boyfriend wasn't call to sing in this production, is not my fault. You made this public, so....I keep it public.
Mucha Suerte!
David Mazer (tenor)