Subject: Re: Price in Fanciulla
From: Premiere Opera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:48:17 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/02 5:51:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Price never had the large high notes that Ed seems to favor.  >>

I don't think it's just a matter of what I favor. When one sees Aida, one
likes to be able to hear the Aida soaring on the soprano line in the
Triumphal Scene. Price could never be heard, in this, perhaps her most famous
role. Her top simply did not blossom, or bloom, though it was exquisite in
beauty and color and tone. There was very little difference in volume between
her piano high C and her forte high C.

In Forza, her many B naturals in the treacherous Convent Scene were always
small, and in the theater, had less impact than any other Leonora I have ever
seen.

So I think it's not just a question of what I favor. It's what the role and
the score require, and what Price, great as she was, was not always able to
deliver.

Flame away!

Ed

Opera from the Archives  http://www.premiereopera.com/premiere_ofta.htm