Subject: Re: Randolph Symonette
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:03:04 -0400

At 10:47 AM 6/12/02 -0400, William A. Fregosi wrote:
>--and the curtain came in, followed by a stage manager's
>announcement that Mr. Symonette was not well.  Edelmann finished the
>performance as best he could.  There was coverage of the incident in
>the New York press the next day and he was gone from the MET.

Not quite.  The incident Bill recalls took place on January 10, 1962.  In
fact, Mr. Symonette sang the SIEGFRIED Wotan about 2 1/2 weeks later, on
January 29th, again with Leinsdorf conducting.  I can't tell from the
published annals if he was replacing anyone - at the other two performances
that season, the role was taken by George London.

The Annals tell us that he sang 5 performances of 4 roles at the MET in
this, his only season.  His debut was as Telramund, on 11/17/61, and he
repeated the role soon after.  He sang single performances of Amonasro, an
additional DIE WALKüRE before the disastrous night, and the SIEGFRIED that
followed it.  The Annals don't credit him for the partial third act of DIE
WALKüRE on January 10.

Once the RING was over, the MET was done with him, no longer needing him to
stand by for London and Edelmann.  A shame, actually.

"I never know," Harry said, "what's the difference between a Stalagmite and
a stalactite?"
"Stalagmite's got an "M" in it," said Hagrid.

James Bodge  [log in to unmask]