Subject: Nell Rankin
From: donpaolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:41:16 -0400

As a youngster starting my opera experience during the late 50's/early 60's I managed to see Nell Rankin 3-4 times at the Old Met.

I vividly recall Ortrud, Azucena & Laura, perhaps Eboli & remember being stunned by her top notes, judicious use of chest tones & excellent involved acting ability.  I regret that she did not record Laura on the old RCA Gioconda, and Azucena on the Tucker-Price Il Trovatore, rather than Elias.

Later on, Irene dalis seemed to have attained Mr. Bing's "favorite house mezzo" status, by comparison, much to my great disappointment.

DonPaolo