Subject: Nabucco Telecast
From: donpaolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:30:23 -0400

Finalment..."let it all hang out Verdi"!

No, not a prissey/polite chamber piece, Nabucco is full of Italian flavoring, with a nice touch of garlic.  It is a hum-along, foot-tapping evening of FUN.

As a non-bekiever in the "artistry" of Juam Pons, I thought last night he was just great.  His leathery voice is properly gruff & bullish for portraying this warrior king.

Guleghina could have used some basso chest tones alla Tebaldi & Suliotis to underscore her dramatic moments; but, what the heck, at the end of this orddel she was able to stand without assistance & she was not bleeding from her larynx & her top appeared darned fine.

Sam ramey was THE star if the show.  In his 60's & developing a wobble, he nevertheless stunned me with those top notes that rang out clear as a bell.  His was the dominant presence throughout.

I would have greatly preferred Casanova to the mush-voiced Ismaele; but who cares for the tenor anyhow in this opera.

Jimmy Levine continues to impress me with his genuine love for & involvement in what he is doing.  It is watching someone who is having "fun" & thoroughly enjoying himself.

The Met chorus should have been paid double their normal performance fee for the excellence that they displayed & the length of choral singing required in this work.

Bravi Tutti

DonPaolo