Subject: Rise Stevens
From: "Thomas H. Israel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:41:57 -0400

Realizing that Rise Stevens is now 89 makes me ever so aware of the passing of time!
Rise Stevens was one of the principal reasons for my interest in opera. I saw her at the Met in CARMEN quite a few times, and she certainly set a standard in this role that, for me, hasn't been surpassed!

But I also fondly remember her incomparable Octavian, her seductive Dalila, and her clever portrayal of Orlovsky. I also heard her in recital quite a few times, including one in which she sang "Vissi d'arte." (!!)

Just this week I received a copy (from Japan) of her RCA disc of extended scenes from SAMSON ET DALILA (with Mario del Monaco). What a shame RCA released this for the Japanese market but hasn't made it available here or in Europe! - Great sound, too!

I'm sure I wouldn't have become the opera buff I am had it not been for artists like Rise Stevens (plus Dorothy Kirsten, Zinka Milanov, James Melton, and Robert Merrill)!

Tom Israel