Subject: Ring on NDR3
From: Simon Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Aug 2001 16:30:14 EDT

The situation is even more complicated than initially described. There were
two starts of this year's Rheingold, both broken off and followed by silence
and piano music. I gave up in disgust. When I came back from dinner, I tried
again and came in in mid-Rheingold. However, something didn't sound quite
right (for one thing, the Loge didn't sound like Graham Clark and the
Alberich was in distinctly healthier voice than Kannen was in the
Goetterdaemmerung the other day).

At the end, it was announced that they had had to abandon the 2001 Bayreuth
Rheingold transmission "because of technical problems" and had broadcast the
1980 Phillips (Boulez: McIntyre, Jerusalem, etc.). They indicated that they
are planning on broadcasting the 2001 Walkuere this evening/tomorrow AM
(depending on where you are) "hoffentlich."

We shall see in 1 1/2 hrs what turns up.

Simon