Subject: Re: Chukhajian: Arshak, 'the' opera
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 4 Aug 2001 14:43:52 EDT

In a message dated 08/04/2001 1:21:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> On another topic entirely: Has anyone heard the recording of Arshak. The

Arnold and List,

Which recording?  I didn't know that ANY were available in the U.S.  I have a
copy of one done with the Yerevan State Academic Ballet and Opera Theatre
conducted by Aram Katanya.  Is that the one you mean?  It's a good bet that
this is the only game in town.

As will many of these Slavic recordings, the sound isn't all that great - and
the singers tend to have a very sharp edge to their voices - but the music
comes through quite well, and is surprisingly melodic and pleasant.  I would
be very surprised if there is ANY other recording available.

Also, you are right to assume that ANUSH is a very different kettle of fish.
By the way, it would have been a lot easier to look this up if you had
mentioned the composer's name (Chukhajian).

Regards,

Jon Davis