Subject: Re: Opera-l Pins, Arshak, 'the' opera
From: "arnold L. Kaye" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Aug 2001 13:21:18 EDT

I, too, would be interested in purchasing an OPERA-L  pin. Can someone tell
me where?
On another topic entirely: Has anyone heard the recording of Arshak. The
gentleman at Tower recommended against it, and tried to steer me to another
Armenian opera.'Anush' (I have heard (Tigranian's) David Beg, but that is, of
course, a  different style, and a different era. Besides, I have a
performance of Arshak to see in Sept., and would like to preview the music on
CD.
And, moving on: I received a brochure from my local community college, and
noticed a course in Opera appreciation is being offered. The author of the
blurb refers to 'opera', which is what I say. But I realized many people
refer to 'the' opera (as in, "I  love 'the ' opera)" I'd never thought about
it before, but this seems a tad pretentious.
Any linguists  or etymologists out there care to comment?