Subject: Livietta e Tracollo
From: Nick Tussing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:39:59 -0700

My apologies for the delayed reaction; I've been somewhat behind in my Opera-L recently. Anyway, though I've never heard the piece, it happens that I have a libretto for Livietta e Tracollo (and a masterpiece of the librettistic art, it isn't). So, FWIW (though very likely someone has already answered this) ...

Intermezzo I: Livietta appears disguised as a French peasant boy with her friend, a peasant girl, got up in fake jewelry.  She wishes to lure the robber who, disguised as a Polish lady, robbed and almost killed her brother.

Tracollo appears, disguised as a Polish lady, with Faccenda, disguised as a beggar. Steals a necklace. Livietta and tracollo argue a bit, using very bad puns.  Livietta yells; peasants arrive; her friend removes Tracollo's disguise.  Livietta ahs him tied up; he swears he loves her, but she's not impressed at his choice of career. They argue.

Intermezzo II:

Tracollo apparently got away by pretending to be insane.  He is disguised as a mad astrologer. Livietta arrives, suspects it's Tracollo, but doesn't understand why he's not in chains.  He siezes her and makes her run until she is exhausted.

She breaks away and collapses, and sings a lament, asking Tracollo to forgive her before she dies. Tracollo wonders if it's a trick, but is moved and approaches her; she slaps him on the shoulder and promises to take care of the scoundrel.  He laments and agrees to die.  She feels pity and tries to find out if he really loves her; he apparently does, and the two promise to get married.

Weird stuff...

Don Operatico, baritono quasi cantante

Nick Tussing
Catholic University of America