Subject: Gotterdammerung
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:48:30 -0700

My reception on Media Player was excellent.  The IM tuner is a complete bust
for me.  The overall performance today sounded excellent considering that I
listened to it through my (Boston Soundblaster) computer speakers.
Wolfgang Schmidt was fine but his voice, to my ears, lacks the heroic timber
necessary for this role.
Ketelsen turn in a fine Gunther until he missed his entrance in the 3rd act
when he should go to Gutrune to comfort her when Sigfried is brought back.
The less said about Gunter von Kannen the better.  De Vol is an exiting
singer who was a bit erratic today.  Her accuracy of pitch varied as well as
her tonal placement.  The wobble would come and go, being most evident at
the top of the staff: f,f#,g.  From what I can tell from these listening
conditions she sounds as if she has a rich, full soprano, except for the
bottom, that she employs intelligently and at times passionately.
Ron