Subject: Re: Santa Fe Foodies Addendum
From: Michael J Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:03:15 EDT

Pasqual's:  I haven't been there for ages.  The one hour wait was never
justified by the food.  Good, yes, but not worth the hour.  If you say its
improved, perhaps I'll give it another shot.  "Huevos" like the American
"balls" (and for the same reason) is Spanish (or at least Mexican) vernacular
for "testicles."  No one has stopped using "balls" with the usual meaning in
English and I doubt "huevos" will disappear from either the menu or polite
vocabulary in Spanish.

You are the second person in the past five days to note that the service at
Santacafe is awful.  The other vowed never to go their again.  I have found
their food inconsistent, great down to disappointing.  At their prices, only
great would be acceptable.

I also agree with your accessment of Geronimo.  With a limited fixed income,
where I spend my money truly depends on the places quality and consistancy.
If you ever find that they are worth the price in your opinion, let me know.

"Many here, me included,  think that The Compound is once again the best."
Thanks for the info.  I once loved to eat there, and then found that they
were becoming more interested in catering to palates more interested in
history than taste.

"The Whistling Moon for fair priced Med food."  Definitely.  Great chicken
and fish sandwiches.  Although the word "sandwich" does not at all suggest
the feast of ingredients and flavors that make up the sandwich.  Their
potatoes, though, are seasoned with chili -- not an option -- and for those
locals like myself who are chilied out on occasion, this is not a blessing --
a small complaint.  Their desserts are terrific, some of the best in town.
And priciest.

"Il Piatto and Andiamo for Italian."  I haven't tried the former; latter is
okay.  I prefer Pastabilities:  large portions, great duck pasta, nice wine
list, parking and 15 minutes from the plaza.

Asian?  "Mu Du Noodles and Kasa Soba."  I haven't tried Kasa Soba.  Tell us
more.  How does it compare to Mu Du?

the CafSan Estevan, The Shed,.The Pink Adobe:  All acceptable to me, but also
inconsistent, thus so have been my visits to them.  Have you tried the
desserts at the Pink?  Their Pear Amaretto (pear with a vanilla custard and
amaretto sauce) is to die for.  And they had a wonderful cake with candied
filling and rich bitter chocolate frosting.

Harry's Roadhouse.  Bring a fire extinguisher.  The chile is hot and they
don't cater to the weak.

Bobcat Bite, Bert's Burger Bowl.  Totally incomparable.  Bert's is a
down-and-dirty funky greasehouse.  Your food will ooooooooooooze.  Bring a
roll of paper towels.  Bobcat Bite, on the other hand, is a throwback to
pre-McDonalds' days, burgers made out of steak, up to 3/4 of an inch thick
after cooking, flavorful and wonderful, with or without the green chili.  For
some strange reason, they use only swiss on their cheeseburgers (go figure).
It's a diner -- expect nothing in terms of elegance or fancy food; and you
will then be delighted.  The hash browns are good (my wife thinks they're too
greasy).

Others.  If you like a quietly elegant breakfast, and it's not too late for
reservations, try the Grant Corner Inn (and tell Louise I said "hello.")
Three short blocks from the Plaza.

The pastries at the French Pastry shop are the best  in Santa Fe -- the
breakfasts and lunches are good, too.  Half-a-block from the Plaza.

For personal responses, please reply to (link should now work):
<A HREF="mailto:MichaelJCarroll">MichaelJCarroll</A>