Subject: Re: Baritones and bel canto (Was: Re: Opera Rara)
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:01:49 -0500

Nick Tussing wrote:

> I get the impression that the 1830s and '40s must have been a better time for baritones, with Donizetti at least writing several wonderful roles for the voice (of course technically for "basso"), such as Torquato Tasso, Corrado in Maria de Rudenz, Nottingham in Devereux, Severo in Poliuto, Enrico in Campanello (a buffo role), etc., with many of these roles being written for Giorgio Ronconi (the first Nabucco).

For a really gorgeous example of great baritone singing in this repertoire I strongly suggest that you all listen to Matteo Manuguerra singing "Ah, per sempre io ti perdei" and, especially, the ensuing cabaletta from the complete recording with Caballe and Kraus / Muti. This is truly great singing! (If only Muti would allow the singers a bit of interpolation)...

Kurt Youngmann