Subject: Re: ORALIA DOMINGUEZ
From: Calvin M Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:26:22 EDT

Greetings! Mme. Dominguez' Amneris burst on the stage in what, had it not
been for the presence of a certain soprano from Manhattan in the title role,
might otherwise have come to be known as the Dominguez Aida.
There has been reference to her participation in a Chicago Lyric Coronazione
di Poppaea. I don't know if that performance has been preserved, but her
Arnalta in the same opera can be heard in a recording made from a performance
in Florence in 1966. It's on the inexpensive Opera D'Oro label and is well
worth seeking out though it should be stated that it is now out of print and
available only through the Opera D'Oro cut-out site (Cybermusic Surplus) -
but they have had it listed for $5.98!!!!
The cast includes Boris Christoff, Mirto Picchi, Mirella Parutto, and Claudia
Parada.
Obviously it's not a historically-informed-period-instrument version. Think
of it as "L'Incoronazione di Poppaea as it would have sound if Giordano had
written it." That's my kind of Monteverdi!! And Dominguez is titanic!!!
Calvin M Goodwin