Subject: Mignon Dunn and Federica (Was Re: Denise Graves/cellphones IN opera)
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:20:31 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/01 8:49:16 AM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Federica must
> have a major league voice and presence--her two scenes demand it
> dramatically and also vocally--she has to lead off the big cappella quartet
> that ends the scene during which she forces Luisa into giving up Rodolfo.
> The great Shirley Verrett takes this role in the Moffo, Bergonzi recording
> and if I remember correctly Mignon Dunn did the role at the MET early in
> the last production's history.

Greetings, Bill and listers!

La Dunn did indeed sing Federica at the Met--and not just early in the last
production's history but throughout its two decade run.  She squared off with
a number of memorable Luisas, including Adriana Maliponte, Gabriella Tucci,
Katia Ricciarelli, Silvia Mosca and Aprile Millo.

Other notable interpreters of Federica:  Christa Ludwig, Huguette Tourangeau
and Bianca Berini.

Jason McVicker