Subject: ebay prices (was PARSIFAL)
From: Greg Fitzmaurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 Jun 2001 10:49:04 EDT

In a message dated 6/9/2001 9:39:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Moreover, I would think anyonewho would pay $200 for this performance on CD
> is the type of collector who regularly makes such dumplings, or knows
someone
> who does, andtherefore has access to multiple private sources and thus
could
> acquire aCD copy for a lot less than $200.

On the contrary, anyone who has access to private resources for this
performance wouldn't spend anything for it.  They'd simply contact their
friends and get a copy.

Broadcast performances that aren't regularly available bring high prices on
ebay from people who generally don't trade recordings.  High prices as for
the Parsifal ($200) are somewhat unusual but are generally caused by two
people bidding against each other.  In the case of Parsifal, the bid by the
3rd highest person was only about $90.

I once saw a recording on ebay from the Met of Don Carlo with Caballe and
Corelli.  That went for a little over $300.  Just for fun, I contacted the
2nd highest bidder and offered to sell him my copy for $200, but he said he
had found another copy elsewhere.  Darn.

Greg Fitzmaurice
Durham, NC